You are here
It all started with a tiny cookie tin of member names and a dream. A world where fur-bearing animals were free to live as they were intended.
Founded in 1953, The Association for the Protection of Fur-Bearing Animals (The Fur-Bearers) works to end the commercial fur trade and promotes co-existence with wildlife.
The Fur-Bearers began as a group searching for a humane alternative to the viciously cruel leg-hold traps that were - and continue to be - popular across Canada. Though small changes have been made to those traps, and other so-called “humane traps” like the Conibear have been introduced over the years, it soon became clear that there is no such thing as a humane trap. Each causes panic, pain, and lengthy, unnecessary suffering to the wild creatures of Canada.
For that reason, The Fur-Bearers adopted the mission “To protect fur-bearing animals in the wild and in confinement through conservation, advocacy, research and education (C.A.R.E).”
- Abolish the commercial fur trade, including trapping and fur farms
- Create opportunities to co-exist with wildlife (i.e. beavers, coyotes, bears, and small mammals)
- Foster empathy and compassion for wildlife and the environment through school presentations and community outreach
Your wish, and our wish is a world where every fur-bearing animal coexists in his or her natural habitat, alongside society.
We believe that:
- Fur should not be commodity.
- All fur-bearing animals deserve to be protected, regardless of their species or society’s views.
- Co-existence with fur-bearing animals is possible and non-lethal solutions to human/wildlife conflicts are effective.
- All fur-bearing animals are a part of a healthy Canada and public perceptions need to reflect that.
- Education and positive interactions will bring about sustainable change.
The history of The Fur-Bearers is a rich one. You can read more about the journey to what the organization is today in the eBook The Defenders: The history of The Association for the Protection of Fur-Bearing Animals. All proceeds from the sale of this book go directly to protecting wildlife.
The supporters of The Fur-Bearers are the lifeblood of the organization. Without you, wildlife in Canada would have no voice. To be part of the wave of change for wildlife, CLICK HERE.