The Fur-Bearers needs the help of a few volunteer writers to provide fresh content across their educational network. This is a perfect opportunity for high school or post-secondary students in need of volunteer hours, writers looking to hone their craft and publish content, and animal lovers of all ages who want to contribute!
We’re looking for two types of content to go across our networks (TheFurBearers.com, YoungDefenders.ca and occasionally our campaign microsites):
- Should answer the 5Ws (who, what, when, where, why – and sometimes how) in an inverted pyramid style (click here to learn more about news writing in this style).
- Editorializing, emotional analysis and bias should all be avoided to ensure clarity of fact.
- Answers the questions ‘why is this important and why is it relevant right now’.
- Everything written should have an active citation (web link to an article, DOI for studies, etc.)
- Should answer the 5Ws (who, what, when, where, why – and sometimes how) in a way that will engage without hyperbole.
- A general overview of the reviewed content (without spoilers or with a spoiler warning), akin to the dust jacket on a book or description of a documentary on Netflix, though with less marketing-style writing.
- How to find the content (is it streaming somewhere? Is it available from libraries?).
- Should include relevant creative information, such as the director, contributors, performers, creators and production houses.
- Your ‘take away’ – what you think people will walk away from this content learning more about or what they will experience/feel.
We’ll also be looking for meme builders for social media, focused primarily on messages from our existing content.
Do you want to work with an award-winning editorial team and learn how to take your interests, skills or hobbies into advocacy work? This may be the opportunity for you! To request further information about these or other (please specify) volunteer opportunities contact Marcy Potter at Marcy@TheFurBearers.com. Be sure to include your full name, contact information and any examples of past work, ideas/pitches and resume as required.
The Fur-Bearers reserves the right to not publish submitted content and will make every effort to respond to all inquiries; however, due to reduced resources during the pandemic, our communications may be delayed.