The Fur-Bearers have prepared our comments on proposed regulatory changes around rodenticide use in British Columbia.
The Government of British Columbia published an Intentions Paper surrounding these changes recently. An important change is a proposed prohibition on accessing and using second-generation anticoagulant rodenticides (SGARs) to the general public, but there will be broad exemptions for commercial use of these rodenticides.
While The Fur-Bearers supports the important step in restricting access and use to dangerous and inhumane rodenticides such as SGARs, the proposed changes have limitations and stop short of a comprehensive ban on all rodenticides.
Read The Fur-Bearers submission below. We encourage residents of British Columbia to submit comments on the government’s public consultation. The deadline is June 19, 2022, more details are below.
The Fur-Bearers are encouraging BC residents to comment on the Intentions Paper and provide feedback supporting the restrictions. We also encourage residents to note that vulnerable birds of prey and other species can and do thrive in many habitats, including urban ones, therefore removing SGARs from all habitats is ideal.
TIPS FOR COMMENTING:
- Always be polite and stay on point. This Intentions Paper is specific to SGARs and management of rodent populations.
- Provide citations or references when making arguments to ensure they’re considered fully and utilized as part of the conversation about this issue.
- If you’re submitting feedback via email or letter, include your name and contact information so those reviewing comments know they’re from BC residents specifically. The online submission does not require this information to be shared.
- BC Ministry of Environment and Climate Change announcement and online feedback portal (https://engage.gov.bc.ca/govtogetherbc/consultation/rodenticide-regulation-changes/)
- BC Government Science Review of Second-Generation Anticoagulant Rodenticides and Risks to Non-target Wildlife in British Columbia (https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/environment/pesticides-and-pest-management/legislation-consultation-new/rodenticide_science_review_2021.pdf)
- BC SPCA Rodenticides page (https://spca.bc.ca/ways-to-help/take-action/urban-wildlife/humane-rodent-control/rodenticides/)
- Coverage of BC’s temporary rodenticide ban (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-bans-rodenticides-1.6112204)
- Cornell Wildlife Health Lab Rodenticide Toxicity page (https://cwhl.vet.cornell.edu/disease/rodenticide-toxicity)
- Rodenticide Exposure Among Endangered Kit Foxes Relative to Habitat Use in an Urban Landscape (journal)