One dog dead, another ill, after ingesting poisoned foods near and in Toronto

One family is in mourning and another is living in a state of fear after their dogs ingested poisoned food in two separate incidents in different parts of the Greater Toronto Area.

The first case took place in Vaughn, northwest of the city. The CBC reported that the dog was out for a walk with his owner last Wednesday and began eating something near a community mailbox. Only hours later, the dog became violently ill, and within two days, was euthanized. The veterinarian involved noted that the dog appeared to have ingested glycol – a chemical found in antifreeze.

York Regional Police were contacted and upon investigation found more of the tainted dog kibble.

Following this incident, another dog became seriously ill after picking up and beginning to chew a green treat at Thorncliffe Park in east Toronto last Friday. CityNews reported that the owner who was walking his dog immediately removed the treat, and later, after his dog became ill, returned to the park and found several more of the green treats, which gave off a strong chemical smell.

In both of these cases there are no suspects or known purpose behind the poisoned treats. However, these incidents are not uncommon. Typically, individuals frustrated with local wildlife or pets such as cats and dogs will attempt to take matters into their own hands, rather than working with their municipalities or community to find solutions.

The Fur-Bearers advises that pet owners keep their dogs on leash when in public areas and always try to stop their pets from eating foreign objects; we also recommend contacting your local animal control or SPCA if you see suspicious food items in popular dog or wildlife areas.

Anyone who has information about these or similar crimes is urged to contact the Crime Stoppers tip line at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

Non-lethal solutions to conflict always exist – and we urge communities to work together to prevent such needless and cruel deaths.

Work like our growing Living With Wildlife campaign is only possible with the support of monthly donors. Please consider become a monthly donor – for as little as $5 a month – and help us create a Canada that is truly fur-free.

Help Make A Difference

Join The Fur-Bearers today and help us protect fur-bearing animals in the wild and confinement. To become a monthly donor (for as little as $10/month – the cost of two lattes) please click here and help us save lives today. Your donation is tax-deductible.


Latest Posts

Defender Radio

Listen To The Latest
  • Listen To The Latest

About Us

Established in 1953, The Fur-Bearers is a charitable, non-partisan organization whose goals are to end the commercial fur trade and promote solutions for wildlife coexistence in communities. Your donation is tax-deductible. Charitable registration number: 130006125RR0002

1% For The Planet Partner

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top