An official House of Commons ePetition was launched today calling on the Government of Canada to ban fur farms nationwide. Launched by The Fur-Bearers and sponsored by MP Nathaniel Erskine-Smith (Liberal, Beaches-East York), this ePetition will require a formal response by the government.
Petition e-3096 was launched in response to the ongoing public outcry about fur farms as more on welfare concerns, as well as public health issues related to the pandemic. It reads,
- Millions of fur-bearing animals are intensively farmed and killed for their fur every year in Canada;
- Animals kept on fur farms are confined in small, wire cages for their entire lives until they are killed in accordance with National Farm Animal Care Council requirements: gas chambers (mink) or anal electrocution (foxes);
- The captive breeding and extreme confinement of wild animals results in negative animal welfare outcomes such as severe stress, stereotypic behaviours, and inability to engage in natural behaviours;
- Government agencies provide public funding to the fur farm sector despite industry decline;
- Mutations of the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus have occurred in Europe as a result of human-animal transmission, jeopardizing COVID-19 vaccine effectiveness;
- Mink and workers on fur farms in British Columbia have been infected with the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus;
- Fur farms pose a public health and environmental risk in the event of a virus spillover into wild or domestic animal populations;
- The World Health Organization advocates for a One Health approach which puts animals at the centre of public policy in creating better health outcomes;
- The UN Environment Programme has listed “unsustainable agricultural intensification” and “increased use and exploitation of wildlife” as 2 of the 7 factors driving the emergence of zoonotic diseases; and
- Numerous surveys and public opinion polls have found that an overwhelming majority of Canadians oppose killing animals for their fur.
We, the undersigned, citizens of Canada, call upon the Government of Canada to introduce a nationwide ban on fur farming for all species of animals.”
To take action and sign this petition CLICK HERE. You will be redirected to the House of Commons website to sign the petition. It does require email verification and is open only to Canadian residents.