A family is without their beloved Jack Russell Terrier, Violet, after her life was taken in the grips of a beaver trap in Manitoba.
Trapping seasons across Canada began this week – Violet is the first reported casualty this year.
According to the CBC, the VanSteenbergen family was out walking Violet, 4, and three other dogs on a public pathway in rural Manitoba about one week ago. Violet ran off the path and was later found by the VanSteenbergens in a beaver trap, in a ditch.
“It was absolute shock and disbelief. I looked down and I could not believe this could happen so close to where everybody walks," Sara VanSteenbergen told the CBC. “We are devastated. Our little Violet slept with my husband every day for four years. She's a member of our family."
Local RCMP officers investigated and reported that the trap was set legally on private property. Under existing legislation and regulation, no signage or warnings are necessary.
We’re offering our sincerest condolences to the VanSteenbergen family and would like to remind all our supporters of the dangers represented by traps. Please click here for more details and tips on how to keep your pets safe.