ACTION ALERT: Wolves in Western Canada need your help

BC Alberta wolf caribou cull huntAdding to the upsetting news that the government of Alberta will likely expand their wolf cull, the British Columbia government has announced they will begin an aerial assault on the vital predators in a last-ditch effort to protect endangered caribou herds.

In both Alberta and BC scientists have shown that the true culprit behind the dwindling caribou populations is habitat loss and fragmentation, with resource exploitation being the main driver. But that isn’t stopping these governments from continuing to expand resource operations. In fact, as Albertans learned of the probability of the expanded culls, the government was making deals to extend existing and create new land leases for energy and forestry sector businesses.

A total of 184 wolves will be killed as part of the government plan in BC after it was revealed that the South Selkirk caribou herd has declined from 46 in 2009 to 18 last year. But the government also acknowledged that only 37 per cent of the loss was from wolves. That leads us to the question: what’s being done about the other 63 per cent?

This violent cycle of wolf killing is not new, despite our advances in ecological science, technology and, one would hope, compassion.

We need your help. The wolves need your help.

TAKE ACTION

Contact Premier Christy Clark in BC and Premier Jim Prentice in Alberta and demand that these violent resolutions be ended today. Scientists know the true cause of caribou population declines, and it isn’t wolves – it’s poor ecological planning and policy. Make sure you copy your local MLA (find yours for BC or Alberta) on your letter!

Alberta Premier Jim Prentice

Twitter @JimPrentice

Facebook

premier@gov.ab.ca

780-427-2711

BC Premier Christy Clark

Twitter @ChristyClarkBC

Facebook

premier@gov.bc.ca

250 387-1715

SAMPLE LETTER

Dear Premier(s),

It has become clear from those who are studying the caribou of Alberta and British Columbia that the only long-term solution for the protection of endangered and at-risk wildlife is an immediate halting of development in sensitive areas. Regardless of how many thousands of wolves are slaughtered, without land, the caribou herds cannot survive. Please listen to reason and stop the senseless, cyclical killing of these sentient animals and look to real, ecological science for solutions. These decisions will be remembered at the next election.

Your name and address

PETITION: Sign the petition for BC wolves!

INDIEGOGO: Help fund the fight against the wolf hunt in BC!

Help Make A Difference

Join The Fur-Bearers today and help us protect fur-bearing animals in the wild and confinement. To become a monthly donor (for as little as $10/month – the cost of two lattes) please click here and help us save lives today. Your donation is tax-deductible.

Tags

Comments

Latest Posts

Defender Radio

00.00
Listen To The Latest
  • Listen To The Latest

About Us

Established in 1953, The Fur-Bearers is a charitable, non-partisan organization whose goals are to end the commercial fur trade and promote solutions for wildlife coexistence in communities. Your donation is tax-deductible. Charitable registration number: 130006125RR0002

Scroll to Top