Over the past year, it seems like there was news virtually every week about the fur industry: from fur farming bans to major retailers going fur-free. For this year’s Fur Free Friday, we’re providing a recap of all the historic events that happened in the past year, and how you can take action to make fur history in Canada!
Fur Farming Bans
COVID-19 outbreaks continued to occur on mink farms in many countries, including Canada. As a result, several countries announced that they would ban fur farming altogether, citing risks to public health and the inhumane treatment of animals. The following countries have announced fur farming bans in the past year:
- Canada (province of British Columbia banned mink farming)
- On February 3, 2022 the US House passed an amendment to ban mink farming (this bill will now head to the US Senate).
- On February 8, 2022, a private member’s bill to ban fur farming in Canada was introduced by MP Nathaniel Erskine-Smith.
On the retail side, we witnessed historic announcements from the world’s largest fashion companies that they are moving to a post-fur era. Both in Canada and abroard, retailers faced sustained pressure from the public and animal advocates to drop all fur from their lineups. They listened. In the past year, numerous companies have committed to going fur-free, among them:
- Dolce & Gabbana
- Canada Goose
- Elle Magazine (committed to stop using fur in all its editorial and advertising content worldwide, across all online and print media)
- Saks Fifth Avenue
- Kering (Gucci, Yves Saint Laurent)
- Oscar De La Renta
TAKE ACTION: Make your voice heard this Fur Free Friday!
A private member’s bill to ban fur farming in Canada was introduced by MP Nathaniel Erskine-Smith on February 8, 2022. This is the first time legislation has been introduced in Canada at the federal level that seeks to end fur farming. Support this bill by contacting your Member of Parliament with our letter template. Click here to take action.
For more information on how you can get engaged on this issue, read our blog: I want to end fur farming in Canada. Where do I start?
And when buying clothing, always choose fur-free products and encourage your friends and family to do the same. With your help and support, together we will make fur history!